The turn-around time for publishing research can sometimes feel like it takes ages. This isn’t – necessarily- problematic when you are publishing the results of years of study in a field that doesn’t change all that much (like my own cozy world of brick stamp studies…). But when you’re working in a field that changes monthly, if not weekly (like anything connected with digital media) by the time that article of yours comes out, it could very well be out of date. My article on agent-based modeling the Antonine Itineraries was published quite quickly, but by the time it came out the platform I used – Netlogo – had already undergone a substantial upgrade. My code was already out of date (though upgrading the model code would probably only take a day or two). I did find though that the comments and correspondence I received as a result of putting up a tatty web 1.0 website during that research were invaluable to the development of my project. I was able to put up ‘work-in-progress’ notes that generated great feedback that helped negate some of the dangers of working in a void (I was the only person in my department interested in agent modeling, at the time).
Reflecting on that experience – the lag time to final publication, and the power of many eyes looking at your work – I would like therefore to offer to anyone (especially at the senior undergrad or grad student level) who is working with digital media and archaeology or history, space on this blog to publish a series of ‘research notes’ – short articles, updates or ideas concerning their research. If you’re interested, drop me a line and I’ll set you up as an author: grahams at cc.umanitoba.ca